One of the most frustrating things about being a pet parent is not knowing how to keep your beloved pooch from getting bored. You know that your dog is more than happy whenever you’re around. However, you do have other commitments to address such as work and your social life. It is inadvertent that your time for your pooch will be substantially reduced because of these commitments.
But the good news is that there are now companies that somehow understand what you’re going through and as such are more than prepared to bring to your doorstep a variety of doggie items that are guaranteed to keep your pooch entertained for a substantially longer period of time. These so-called dog subscription boxes are filled with treats, toys, and other stuff that are hand-picked to manage the bored dog syndrome in your home. One of the most trusted names when it comes to such services is BarkBox. This is our review.
What is BarkBox?
BarkBox is a monthly subscription service that delivers to your doorstep a variety of new doggie toys, grooming products, and even healthy treats. Subscription plans start at $20 per month and you can get your first doggie gift box shipped right away. However, succeeding gift boxes will be shipped every 15th day of the month. Best of all, with your subscription, the shipping is already free. This basically jumpstarts your dog’s journey to monthly joys and endless fun.
Every month, you and your pooch will receive a themed collection that includes 2 each of all-natural treats and innovative toys. Also included is a dog chew that is meticulously curated to match the month’s themed collection. Another interesting point is that each of the treats put into each doggie gift box is guaranteed made in either the US or Canada. At any rate you will not have any issues about products coming from China and other countries with less-than-sterling manufacturing practices.
Just to give you an idea of the various monthly themed collections that BarkBox has in store for dog lovers everywhere, look at the following.
- The Knights of the Hound Table – contains Sherwyn the Dragon, Squirrel Lancelot, and Ye Olde Ball & Chain, as well as other toys and treats
- Chewrassic Park – features Airborne Archie, Hatchin’ Harry, Herbert the Herbivore, and others
- The Good. The Bad. And the Pugly – includes Consuela the Cactus, Verne the Vulture, and Dyn-o-Bite, among others
- Throwbark Thursday – contains Ko Gnaw Mi Code Controllers, Way Rad Rollerblade, and Pete the Frankly Fantastic Unicorn, to name a few
- Bento and Blossoms – includes Rubber Lucky Cat, JoJo Dreams of Sushi, and Edna’s Edamame, among others
- Sniffin’ Safari – features Charlie’s Heart of Cheesiness Nuggets, Chewfasa the Lion, Hangry Hangry Hippo, and many more
- New Your City – features Pretzel Rope Plush, Andi’s Famous Plush Dumplings, Lady Liberty Ball, and others
One of the questions potential BarkBox subscription members have is related to a gift item not being liked by their pets. BarkBox guarantees free replacement of the item.
BarkBox has been sending out monthly themed doggie gifts to millions of dog owners and pet lovers since 2012. One can say that their experiences have somehow allowed them to fine-tune the various processes inherent in their operation. The company now boasts of their own content and products.
Every toy that is included in each BarkBox doggie gift box is guaranteed to excite and enrich pooches regardless of breed and size. All doggie toys are made of various materials, constructed in a reliably sturdy manner, and are embedded with quirky personalities.
Currently BarkBox has the following subscription plans.
- One-month subscription for only $29
- 6-months subscription at $25 per month
- 1-year subscription at only $21 per month
BarkBox also provides exceptional discounts on a limited time basis or on an ongoing basis. For instance, as of this writing, BarkBox is giving away a free doggie toy with each new subscription.
As already mentioned, BarkBox has been sending gift boxes to dog lovers everywhere since 2012. In their first 2 years of operation, the company has posted more than $1 million in monthly revenues. By the 1st quarter of 2014, BarkBox had already breached an annual revenue of $25 million. This has clearly spurred the sprouting of other dog subscription services wanting to follow in BarkBox’s success.
How Can BarkBox Help Dogs and Pet Parents?
Everyone knows that dogs and their pet parents are nearly inseparable. And while nothing can ever replace the warmth of a pet parent’s touch and cuddle, doggie toys and treats can be used to supplement this human caring.
It should be understood that BarkBox and the other dog subscription services in the market do not profess to be the be-all, end-all of all canine issues especially those related to canine boredom. However, giving them toys that keep them stimulated for longer periods of time can help.
You might be inclined to think that your dog doesn’t need a new toy every month. On the contrary, dogs have shown a substantial reduction in time spent with a certain toy over time. This means that like us, they tend to get bored with the same toy over and over. True, they will be overly enthusiastic with a new toy that they would somehow seem inseparable. With the passing of time however, this enthusiasm gets drowned out. Perhaps in the dog’s mind it is already used to playing with the same toy over and over that the toy is no longer mentally stimulating for the dog.
Giving new toys or treats every month helps provide novelty in your dog’s life. Every month is a new toy, a new challenge, a new way to use its natural intelligence to play with the new toy. This is the very essence of providing dogs with new toys on a regular basis so that they will not necessarily go back to feeling bored.
Technically you can buy the doggie toy and treat yourself. Sadly, not many of us actually have spare time to visit a dog toy shop and really inspect and evaluate every single piece of toy on the shelves. It really is time-consuming. And if ever there is a luxury that we would really love to have more of, it’s time.
Aside from the time that we’ll spend searching for the best dog toy for our pooch, another issue we might be faced with if we buy the dog toy ourselves is that we simply don’t know which ones work and which ones don’t. There are also issues of breed-appropriateness of toys and treats.
The good thing with BarkBox is that its owners are passionate dog lovers with a clear understanding of what pet parents want to give to their pets, what dogs really need, and what science says should be a great compromise. You no longer have to bother thinking about what dog toy to buy next month or the succeeding months because BarkBox will already do the process for you. You don’t even have to scrutinize the toy anymore since the company sources these only from highly reputable dog toy vendors. As for the doggie treat, you’ll feel a lot safer for your pooch as all of BarkBox’s included treats come from the US or Canada.
Key Features of the BarkBox Subscription
- Doggie toys are sourced from highly-reputable and trustworthy vendors
- All doggie treats are guaranteed all-natural and sourced from either US or Canada
- Reliable monthly delivery services complete with tracking information
- Doggie gift boxes available in 4 different sizes depending on your dog’s size and breed
- Each BarkBox doggie gift box comes with information card that contains details about the items contained in the box
- BarkBox online shop comes with a variety of high-quality doggie products
- Comes with an exceptional replacement guarantee in situations where your pooch simply doesn’t like the treat or the toy
BarkBox provides high-quality toys and treats and even grooming products for today’s dogs. While their subscription rates are somewhat more expensive than some competitors, they more than make up for it through their highly-reliable monthly delivery services, exceptional customer service, user-friendly and mobile-responsive websites. Their ordering system and discounts are exceptional, too, making them the most preferred brand when it comes to giving your pooch the toys and treats that it really needs.
- 4 to 6 high-quality, pet-safe, full-sized canine products in every gift box
- 10 percent of sales proceeds is donated to various rescue organizations
- Official BarkBox website is easy to navigate with content that is easy to understand and quite compelling
- FAQ, customer service, and blog sections are also exceptionally warm
- Ordering can be made both online and through text
- BarkBox comes with its own mobile app on both iOS and Android devices
- Comes with multi-dog discounts
- Gift boxes are for dogs only
- Subscriptions are renewed automatically
- More expensive subscription fees than some other dog subscription services
- Some ingredients in the treats may cause allergies in susceptible dogs
More Product Reviews: